Racial Unity Statement
Converge MidAtlantic is a culturally diverse movement of gospel-centered churches in the Eastern region of the United States. Since our founding in 1903, the movement sought to welcome churches and start ministries among people from many different cultural backgrounds.
We affirm the beautiful diversity of all God’s people, and we desire to live out the oneness of the church as envisioned by Jesus in the Bible. Alarmed and saddened by acts of racism, bias, and bigotry occurring during these already difficult times, we state the following:
- that God created all people (of every race, color, and nation) in His image. (Genesis 1:26-27)
- that God so loved the world (including all people of every race, color, and nation) that He sent Jesus to save everyone who believes in Him. (John 3:16; Revelation 5:9)
- that God's ultimate plan includes eternal fellowship among and worship by people from every race, color, and nation. (Revelation 7:9)
- the recent hate and bigotry experienced by people of Asian descent in response to the global pandemic.
- the continuing tragedies involving the senseless deaths of African Americans at the hands of vigilantes and perpetrators of hate crimes.
- the ongoing mistreatment and tragedies experienced by African Americans and other people of color at the hands of a few members of law enforcement, tarnishing the image of officers who make every effort to show dignity and respect to all people.
- Any systemic, underlying societal issues which continue to decimate minority peoples and perpetuate various forms of discrimination, oppression, and prejudice.
- that churches, historically and presently, have far too often been silent, failing to adequately speak to issues of injustice, discrimination, and hate.
- that churches, when they are silent or hold unbiblical views, have been complicit and engaged in allowing these hateful acts and views to exist and even thrive within society at large and within the church.
- that churches must be committed to justice, reconciliation, and the unity that God deeply values and expects of His people. (John 17:20-23)
- to preach the value and worth of every human life of every race, color, and nation, especially those who experience bigotry and oppression. (Deuteronomy 10:18)
- to advocate for justice when hate, violence, and discrimination are inflicted upon people of any race, color, and nation. (Psalm 103:6)
- to prioritize repentance, reconciliation, and unity among all people, especially the church. (Colossians 3:12-15)
- to reflect the expansive, inclusive, pervasive love of God that He has for all people of every race, color, and nation. (1 John 4:11)
- to collaborate on meaningful actions that might help undo the harm of centuries of bigotry to African Americans and other oppressed people, addressing any discriminatory laws, policies, attitudes, and behaviors. (Isaiah 1:17)
Affirmed by the Converge MidAtlantic Board of Overseers on November 24, 2020
Converge MidAtlantic is a movement of self-governing churches. This statement was affirmed by the Board of Overseers to reflect our historic value for cultural diversity as described in the Bible. Member churches are encouraged to adopt their own statements and participate in efforts to promote Biblical Diversity as they deem appropriate. Read more about Converge MidAtlantic’s commitment to Biblical Diversity.